St. Peter's present church building was consecrated in 1949. The design was inspired after a New England girl's boarding school chapel. Georgian colonial in structure, it sits on a five acre lot with woods on two boundaries. The Nave seats 350 to 400 worshipers. The Altar, Baptismal Font, communion silver and the altar flower vases were all brought from the original church, built in 1873 on Spring and Lindell in St. Louis. The cornerstone from this location was also moved and placed in the new location's garden. Linking the past with the future was key in building the new church.
In 1957, the need for additional Sunday School space was apparent. The Education Wing and Little Building were added. Twelve classrooms, a nursery and offices were built in keeping with the Georgian colonial design.
Another beautiful addition was the Laird Garden, built in memory of St. Peter's longest term rector and the one who inspired the move to our present location, William H. Laird. Adjacent to this garden is our newly constructed Columbarium. It is a truly beautiful and peaceful place to sit and reflect.
At the end of 1996, St. Peter's enjoyed yet another wonderful addition to this facility. More classrooms, offices and a choir room were completed and the Undercroft, existing classrooms and kitchen were renovated.
Our parish has provided for this construction and renovation through an enthusiastic response to our capital fund drive, which raised over $2 million for these projects.
In 1998, St. Peter's saw the creation and completion of Grace Chapel. Located on the upper floor of the west wing, and accessible during extended hours, Grace Chapel provides a space for services and private meditation.
During the summer and early fall of 2001, the interior of the church building was restored – new plaster, paint, varnish and carpet were installed; the sound system was replaced; and marble and brass surfaces were refinished.
Construction of a new Chancel Organ began on July 9, 2001, and was completed on October 2. Built by N.P. Mander, Ltd., of London, the instrument is a mechanical action (tracker) organ of 44 stops, comprising four divisions, and contains 57 ranks of pipes. It is housed in chambers and cases on either side of the Choir. A gift to the parish, the organ is used in corporate worship and for organ recitals.